Thursday, February 5, 2009

Proverbs 3 - Hard times

3:9 Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the first fruits of all your crops; 10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.

This is a real test with the current economic situation today. It would be real easy to forget about the Lord, tithing, and giving. But anyone who has ever experienced the Lord's blessing of the tithe will not forget. God has promised us here by His word that He will fill our lives to overflowing. He promises again in Malachi to test Him on this. I can say that I have tested him on this before. I have gone years without tithing when I made lots of money, yet ended up with nothing. In fact those years were the hardest I have ever experienced. I have had other years where I didn't do so good financially, but I tithed and gave more than I could really afford. In those years I never wanted for anything. All my bills were taken care of, I didn't have to worry about anything, and it seems that everything was much less stressful. The truth of it is, everything belongs to God and He lets us use it. We need to look at things in this way. When we do it makes us much more appreciative of what we have. This country has been due for this downturn and market correction. Most people have been living high off the hog for years. I think what bothers me the most is that corporate America and our government has robbed the poor and the elderly to finance their way of life. Yet I see no one being brought to trial or prosecuted for it.

No comments: