Sunday, February 8, 2009

Proverbs 6 - GPS

6:23 For sound advice is a beacon, good teaching is a light, moral discipline is a life path.

Have you ever been out on the water in the dark of night, lost? There is nothing more frightening to be out in the middle of the ocean or a large lake with no navigational devices except your own wits, which frankly aren't much good on a cloudy dark night with no land or landmarks. You are basically in huge trouble. I have been there on a couple of occasions and those were probably the most frightening times in my life.

Life without God is a lot like this. No guiding markers, no destination, no boundaries or landscape by which to navigate. I cannot imagine how anyone can make it through this world without the Lord's guidance. There are times in my life when I have felt this way. Definitely before I became a Christian I wandered aimlessly. I was lost at sea. Even after becoming a Christian I have had many times where I could not find my way. Those were times when I was not spending time in the Word or listening to God's guidance. God's word is like a beacon in the dark, a lighthouse on the shore or rocks, beckoning us onto the proper path, or into the channel. Protecting us from the rocky shores or dangers of life. Sometimes the storms of life cloud our vision of God and we question where we are going or why. At those times we need to immerse ourselves in his word. He is our compass and our GPS. Without Him we are lost

No comments: