Thursday, February 5, 2009

Proverbs 4 - The Blessing of a Father

4:3 When I was a boy in my father's house, still tender, and an only child of my mother, 4 he taught me and said, "Lay hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live

For the life of me I cannot remember 1 time when my father sat me down and told me anything of value. I know that he had to. I learned how to do a lot of things that only he could have taught me. Building things, yard work, fishing, golfing, bowling, sports, etc. I know that he taught me how to do all those things. But I never remember him ever sitting me down to talk to me about life and the important things. I don't think he knew how. I really feel very sorry for him. He did not know how to show his love when loving became difficult. It is easy to love someone when they are loving you, adoring you, idolizing you. It is very difficult when they are misbehaving, doing their own thing, being disrespectful, and dishonoring you. I think that God has taken me through the things in my life so I don't do this with my kids. Children are such a blessing from God. Even when they are difficult, they love you unconditionally. That is why God gives us children. So we can understand His love for us. Every time I hear my son or daughter tell me they love me. I hear God speaking. It is awesome. My son recorded him saying "I love you Daddy" on a little electronic recorded. I listen to that every time I feel alone, every time I need to hear God's voice, and feel God's love. I think I will go listen to it now!

No comments: