Friday, October 17, 2008

Proverbs 16 - Scoundrel, Warrior, or Wise Man

So often in life we as Christians try to do the right thing, say the right words, choose proper actions, but are we always right? No matter what we do or what we say if it is not done with proper motivation it is a stench to the Lord's nostrils. It would be better for us to stay home, be quiet, and dedicate ourselves to studying God's word that it is to do deeds with the wrong motive. I know that I have been guilty many times of having the wrong motives. Feeling that if I do this or do that for the Lord, for the church, or for someone else, it will buy favor in their eyes or in the eyes of the Lord. The Lord desires our heart to be a reflection of His heart. His motives our motives. What are the Lord's motives? I think He has been very clear about this. Love. That is the Lord's key motive for everything He has done and that should be our motive. Whether it is what we do or say at church, bible study, amongst our friends, or whether it is when we are at a Matthew party, among non-Christians, and most importantly dealing with our enemies, God has called us to show his love.

16:2-3 All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, But the LORD weighs the spirits. Commit your works to the LORD, And your thoughts will be established.
These are the 2 verses I was referring to. We must make sure that our motives are pure, for God knows are true motives. When we commit ourselves to showing God's love in our hearts and in our works, we are truly pleasing to the heart of God

16:11 Honest scales and balances are from the LORD; all the weights in the bag are of his making.
It is not for us to pass judgement and weigh another persons iniquities. This is the responsibility of God and no one else. Yes some have been given authority to pass judgement on criminals and in legal matters, but not only did that authority come from God, but they are often wrong in their punishment and decisions. God knows all and sees all and He will make things just according to His scales of judgement which are far superior to any man will ever be

16:32 Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city
I have always thought of myself as a warrior. My name itself means valiant warrior. I often have to remember the valiant part of that description. All my life I have felt that I was destined to be a hero. Not so much as a person who saves someone from a burning building or from drowning, but someone who makes a difference in others lives. God has given me a burning desire for this and I often pray to be put in a position for this to happen. I don't desire the accolade or notoriety, just the heartfelt warmth that comes from knowing that I was able to be there for someone when no one else would be, when no one else could. It sometimes brings me to tears that I may have missed an opportunity or didn't live in an era where there seemed to have been so many heroes. Maybe that is why I love so much to do mission work, or relief work after disasters. These victims are in desparate need, when not many will help. Sure people help right after, but withing a few weeks they disappear and the victims are left alone (Hurricane Katrina and Ike are great examples of this). I do not believe there are many heroes today. We have role models, or sporty idols, etc. but these are not true heroes. Heroes to me are billy Graham, Bill Hybels, Martin Luther King, George Washington, etc. Those are true heroes who stood up for what was right, what they believed in and changed the course of mankind

No comments: