Monday, October 6, 2008

Proverbs 4 - Father to Son

I absolutely love this Proverb. It is chock full of great council and very good illustrations. It is also makes me angry as I never really had a good father. My father was both physically and verbally abusive, he never really gave me any good advice, did not walk with God or emulate a walk with God, and was never there when I needed him. When it finally did seem like he might become a true father, he died when I was 21. Never once in my life did I hear my father say he was proud of me and I can only remember a couple of times when he told me he loved me. I have had a very difficult time with my Christian walk due to the perception of fatherhood displayed by my Father. Our earthly fathers are supposed to be an example of our Heavenly Father. Why would I want anything like that? I have vowed to myself and to God that I will not be that father to my children. I will emulate Him, I will provide guidance and leadership, I will discipline when necessary but in a proper manner, and I will be there when they need me. There are things in this life I have no control over, but this I do.

4:1-13 - Can you say repetition? Is the author adamant about seeking wisdom, about holding onto instruction, about the protection provided from wisdom and wise counsel? These are the verses that need to be bound around your neck. If a child can remember these verses, they are the hinge pin to seeking and finding the other pearls of wisdom. If we do not instill the deliberate act of searching for wisdom and wise council in our children, they will seek out folly, fun, and pleasure. The pursuit of which will lead to destruction.

4:14-15 - Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men. 15 Avoid it, do not travel on it; turn from it and go on your way.
Can you say "Don't go there".

4:16 - For they cannot sleep till they do evil; they are robbed of slumber till they make someone fall.
I find this sentence somewhat ironic. An evil person lays awake at night scheming of what they can do next. Where will their next con come, who will they rob next, what debauchery can they get into next? Is a part of this worry? God promises us that we do not have to worry about a thing. He knows what we need and is faithful and good to provide it for us. An evil person is focused on getting things and providing for his own needs with no dependence on God. Do you sleep peacefully at night?

4:24-26 24 Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. 25 Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. 26 Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.
Unfortunately we inherit a lot of traits from those around us. I could very easily inherit my father's traits. I have inherited his bad language that is for sure. There are times in my life where I have my lips under control, then there are times when I slip back to the old ways before Christ. I have been very diligent over the last few months to purge my life of perverse lips. It is difficult and very easy to wander from the path. A driver cuts you off or pulls out in front of you, you smash your foot with a tree while cutting wood, etc. It has to become a very conscious effort every minute you are awake until if becomes habit. I have seen the fruit of this undertaking and though I have not achieved perfection I am aspiring to it. Controlling the tongue leads to controlling the thoughts, emotions, and eventually the heart. I know others that try to put it in reverse order but that does not work for me. If I make a conscious effort to control what exits my mouth, I have to make a conscious effort to control the way I think, which eventually coincides with the heart changes I want to make

1 comment:

Andy Valadez said...

My dad died about 5 years ago. His birthday is coming up this Friday, 10/10. I am not much for grave site visits, but I am thinking about taking my sister on Friday to visit him. Just to say hello or read him a letter. My dad didn't read the bible to me, but he did instill in me many Godly principles. He grew up in the church (my grandmother made sure of that). I miss the days when we would go hunting and fishing. Just he and I or some of his friends. Those really were good times.