Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Proverbs 19 - Being Poor

How many have seen a poor man on the streets? Do you ever wonder if his walk is blameless? How many friends does he normally have surrounding him? Most of the poor, homeless I have seen are by themselves. Either because they don't want to associate with other poor, or other poor don't want to be with them. Sure they may hang around the same areas, but they don't seem to associate. I have even noticed this in San Francisco where many hang out in the Embarcadero Park on Market St. They are all in the same area but I have never seen them talk to each other. What about in your own life? Have you experienced times when your friends seem to desert you?

19:4/7 Wealth brings many friends, but a poor man's friend deserts him. A poor man is shunned by all his relatives—how much more do his friends avoid him! Though he pursues them with pleading, they are nowhere to be found
I have several friends that throw money around like crazy. I guess they have it to throw around. It always seems they have a posse of people around them. I doubt very seriously that those friends will be around when they are broke. I personally don't want those kind of friends around me. I have seen what happens to friends when hard times come. True friends stick by you whether you are up or down. Are you a true friend? Have you ever abandoned someone in their time of need? I think we all have gone down that path with a friend who just would not/could not pull themselves out of their hole without assistance or something/someone positive giving them a lift. I have been on both ends and thank God I have been shown mercy by some true friends. But even family silently disappears when times get hard. Additionally, most of us have too much pride to accept hand outs. If you look at some of the previous warnings on pride, they work hand in hand with this scripture. One of the hardest things for homeless is shame. Many move to another town where they have no support group because they do not want anyone they know to see them homeless, broke, destitute. This is another reason many of them will either begin or continue an addiction problem. How many of us could face life homeless? Completely homeless? It is a scary thought and I hope that I never have to experience this complete and utter despair.

19:22 What a man desires is unfailing love
What a nugget of truth among nestled in the middle of this proverb. Unfailing love. Do you have it? Have you ever had it? Do you know what it feels like? I think the only unfailing love I have experienced has come from God or my kids. The books by John and Stasi Elleredge state that women and men complete each other. A man needs to fight for, long for, and protect his woman, and a woman needs someone to fight for her, protect her, and esteem her. I would tend to agree with the analysis. Can a person be truly complete on this earth without that other half?

No comments: