Sunday, October 19, 2008

Proverbs 18 - Loose Lips

This passage is rife with advice and warnings about what comes out of our mouths. I spent last evening at a neighbors how watching some UFC fights. Of course, they were all drinking (drunk), and I was the sober one (the one who brought food). The amount of vile language was ridiculous. I know I probably seemed like a weirdo since I did not join in their revelry or their loudness and language. The funny thing is, that they all had opinions about everything, they were experts about everything, and they were predicting left and right who was going to win. In the end they were all wrong. They weren't even cognizant enough to see who was winning the fights, but only saw what they wanted to see. I think these passages are describing just exactly what I saw. These guys were drowning in their own ignorance and the more they spoke the deeper they got.

18:2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions
How often this is true today. People repeat what they hear or read without any investigation or truth to back it up. They are just like tape recorders. How often I have listened to someone just vomiting back up something they have heard on the radio or read in a newspaper. It makes me want to laugh at them. Where do we find truth? The media? The government? Our friends? The church? To me, today, it seems there is only one source of truth. God and His word. Maybe this is in part to what I am seeing in the world and in the church today. Both are in deep waters.

18:8 The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts
I think I have said it before, I hate gossip. And God does too. I have heard it said, "if you are not part of the problem, or part of the solution, shut up". Well I just say shut up. It doesn't matter if you are part of either, if you cannot talk about someone like they are right beside you, don't say anything. All it takes is one little nibble and you are hooked. Then you becomes a gossiper just like everyone. I tend to stay quiets a lot.

No comments: