Friday, October 24, 2008

Proverbs 24 - Strength in Troubled Times

Some much of this Proverb speaks of what is occurring today in our financial markets, in our court system, in our divorce courts, and in the world in general. We have become a society where no one wants to own up to their responsibilities. CEOs rob companies blinds and then point the finger at someone else. Marriages fall apart because one of both parties won't communicate and blame the other. Our political party system always wants to point the finger at the other party. We need to start owning up to our own mistakes. Our court system needs to stop functioning as a business and as the judges they were appointed to be. Our political system need to be totally revamped and we need to allow more qualified people to run for office and get equal air time. How many of you know about Donald K. Allen, and independent candidate from Phoenix? Or about the Libertarian running? Neither have gotten any airtime. It cannot be about who has the most money for their campaign, it has to be about who has the answers to solve our economic, ecological, spiritual, medical, and international crises.

24:10 If you falter in times of trouble, how small is your strength!
The Lord promises us we will experience times of trouble, tribulation, and testing. Through these times we build perseverance, character, hope, tenacity, and eventually our faith. It is easy to be strong in good times. True character is shown during the tough times. I played golf today. It was such a beautiful day. I have been playing so good, striking the ball better than I have in years, but on the first 6 holes I was all over the place and playing horribly. I was very frustrated. I have vowed that whenever I play that no matter how I play I will give God the glory. I determined myself to keep playing hard, trust my swing, and persevere. I ended up shooting an 80 after it was all over with and could have easily shot mid 70's had my first 6 holes been better. That is the perseverance we must have. Do you have things that you do that you can relate to this? How do you react when things are not going well for you?

24:11 Rescue those being led away to death; hold back those staggering toward slaughter. 12 If you say, "But we knew nothing about this," does not he who weighs the heart perceive it? Does not he who guards your life know it? Will he not repay each person according to what he has done
One of the things that I notice today in the church is that people don't want to become involved when others are going through hard times. They don't lend a hand, don't ask, and almost ignore them. How many of us ask "how's it going" or "how are you", but then really don't care. There are many people in our congregations that are really hurting. They are going through divorces, sickness, financial stress, family problems, etc. but no one seems to be there for them. God calls us to assist others in their time of need. He brings us through hard times so that we can share with, emphasize with, and comfort others in their time of need. I experienced this in my divorce. No one was there for me, or for my ex-wife. I know that she was going through significant internal turmoil as was I, yet everyone turned their backs. That breaks my heart and I know it breaks the heart of God? Who do you know who is hurting and really needs your help? Who do I know as well?

24:25 But it will go well with those who convict the guilty, and rich blessing will come upon them.
Our politicians and courts need to hang this scripture around their necks, write it on the forefronts of their head, and store it in their heart. I am positively sure that this is the very reason we are in the problems we are today. The guilty have been exonerated, bailed out, and even haled. We need to convict the guilty and bring about God's blessings on this country

No comments: