Monday, November 24, 2008

Proverbs 25 - Too much of a good thing

16 Have you found honey? Eat only as much as you need, Lest you be filled with it and vomit.

Late Rich Mullins "Awesome God"

Honey in biblical days was like finding gold. It was probably the sweetest food source around and was not only eaten but was also used for medicinal purposes. But eating too much honey can make you sick. Sick to your stomach, diarrhea, acne, it could even cause an imbalance in your sugar levels which can lead to diabetes. Too much of anything is not good for us.

I guess you could call this the moderation verse but I like to look at it as someone who hordes. There are many people in this country who have been extremely blessed financially, yet they are some of the stingiest people I have ever heard of. Take Britney Spears as a good example. I read that she makes $750,000 a month without ever lifting a finger. That is how much she continues to bring in from all her music royalties. Last year she gave $500 to charity! I just cannot fathom that from someone who claims to be a Christian. There comes a point when you make so much money you can't use it all. It will overflow your life and everything you do. T. Boone Pickens said recently "I don't need anymore money", thus he gives a lot of his money away to worthy causes. Contrast those 2 lives. Her life is one big bag of vomit and out of control, and his is going strong with a happy marriage, successful business, successful philanthropy, etc. I don't know about you but I would choose the latter. Most of us are not blessed with this kind of wealth, but we are blessed in many areas of our life where we have abundance. It may be an abundance of time, talent, or treasure. It may be that you have a specific skill that can benefit someone right now. It may be that you have more clothes than you could ever wear or more toys than you can ever play with. Look around your life and see what you can share. I promise you God will provide more.

I write this blog a few days behind and today is Thanksgiving. I am reminded how much I am truly blessed. This has been a great year! It was not the best year financially or relationally, but it was a great year spiritually and I could not ask for a better blessing. I want each and every year to be a step forward in moving closer to Jesus and I thank Him immensely for His love, kindness, PATIENCE, and perseverance

No comments: