Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Proverbs 4 - Wisdom Personified


4:5 Get wisdom! Get understanding! Do not forget, nor turn away from the words of my mouth. 6 Do not forsake her, and she will preserve you; Love her, and she will keep you

I have always wondered why the author of Proverbs personified wisdom and understanding as a woman. Was it something about women that made them wiser? Though they sometimes are, I don't think that was the reason. Was it because women are pretty and attractive? Maybe. After reading this chapter I think it was more because that is what men seek after most when they become adults. Then when they get married they care for and nurture their wife (until death). This is a father giving instruction to his son. Fatherly advice. He knows that the boy likes girls. He has been there himself. He realizes what power they can have over a man. He, wisely, personifies wisdom as a woman so that his son will understand just how earnestly he is supposed to seek out wisdom.

4:23 Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.



How many times have you heard the phrase "Guard your heart"? I wish my father would have told me this. In fact I wish that we had the Godly instruction in my day that kids have today. Still, I wonder if many even listen. Maybe we did have it in my day and I just didn't listen. I tell my kids this all the time. We need to guard our hearts from the things in this life that can hurt us. The heart in a physical sense is what keeps the blood flowing through our veins and keeps the body alive. In a spiritual sense it is what keeps Christ flowing through our spirit and keeps us spiritually alive. Everything we do needs to be brought before the light of scripture, especially when it comes to something that could break our hearts and quench the fire of the Holy Spirit. There are many things in this life that can creep in and take control of us. We need to be on guard. The evil one is constantly looking for an opportunity and he knows our weaknesses. He will throw things in your face constantly when you are walking the right path.

No comments: