Sunday, November 23, 2008

Proverbs - Wasted Life

23:29 Who has anguish? Who has sorrow? Who is always fighting? Who is always complaining? Who has unnecessary bruises? Who has bloodshot eyes? 30 It is the one who spends long hours in the taverns, trying out new drinks. 31 Don’t gaze at the wine, seeing how red it is, how it sparkles in the cup, how smoothly it goes down. 32 For in the end it bites like a poisonous snake; it stings like a viper. 33 You will see hallucinations, and you will say crazy things. 34 You will stagger like a sailor tossed at sea, clinging to a swaying mast. 35 And you will say, “They hit me, but I didn’t feel it. I didn’t even know it when they beat me up. When will I wake up so I can look for another drink?”

Do you know people like this? I sure do. I see a lot of people where I live who spend their nights and days like this. Some are really good people who just don't know any other way. They blow their wealth, their health, and their time getting drunk. They have all kinds of problems. They get in trouble, they get in debt, they get in fights, they go through friends like water. It is very sad and I pray for them all the time because I can remember when my life was like this. I was very empty and could never fill the void so I partied to cover up the hole in my heart. I praise God every day for rescuing from this life. Unfortunately our country has a huge drinking problem. We also have some very hypocritical laws that support this drinking problem. Let's face it, there is big money in alcohol production, sales, and distribution. Do you know why people seem to have the need to get drunk? What is you opinion on the drinking problem in America. What are your opinions on social drinking, or drinking period? Additionally there are some denominations that send very mixed messages about drinking therefore negating the effect the church has on the alcohol abusing public.

No comments: