Monday, November 10, 2008

Proverbs 8 - The Whole Package

8:3 She cries out by the gates, at the entry of the city, At the entrance of the doors:

8:34 Blessed is the man who listens to me, Watching daily at my gates, Waiting at the posts of my doors.

Proverbs 8 seems to encompass all the discussion about wisdom in Proverbs and if you had to read just 1 chapter, this would be it. I find it very appropriate that the beginning of the chapter has wisdom waiting at the city gates and the entry to the city shouting to all who will listen, and the end of the chapter has the blessed man waiting at the city gates and the entry to the city for her. Do you seek out wisdom in this way? I know that I have been doing this much more since starting this journey and that is what its all about. I have always known that you should read a Proverb a day, but writing out your thoughts on each seems to be a very effective communications tool from God to us. I also have been trying to find the tidbit of truth or wisdom in everything I do and also trying to impart wisdom to my kids. This will be the greatest benefit

8:11b And all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her.

How much do you want to succeed in life? What would it be like to be famous? What about wealthy enough to live life like a constant vacation? What if you could do all the ministry work you every wanted to do? Take everything you want in life, all your aspirations, all your physical, spiritual, and emotional desires, and all of these lumped together are not as desirable as wisdom. When God granted Solomon one wish, he asked for wisdom. God was so impressed with his decision and his honesty that he gave him boundless wisdom and knowledge, but he also gave him the ability to do all the things I mentioned before. What if we sought wisdom on such a scale? How powerful of a nation of Christ-followers could we be?

8:17 I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me.

diligent - characterized by steady, earnest, and energetic effort, i.e. painstaking.

Are you diligent about anything? Your family, your wife, your kids, your work , your hobbies? I could probably name a couple of things I am diligent about. I want to be diligent about wisdom. I want to come to a point where wisdom flows out of my being and off my tongue without preponderance. Right now I am trying to keep my thoughts focused on 2 things: God and wisdom. I want to really take time to investigate at everything, search out every meaning and morsel of true. Wisdom and knowledge are not the same thing. I have know desire to know everything. Wisdom is realizing that you won't or can't.

1 comment:

Andy Valadez said...

Powerful! To be diligent in Wisdom. Incredible.

Sincerely,

Andy Valadez