Saturday, December 6, 2008

Proverbs 1 - Strong Tree

1:2 To know wisdom and instruction, To perceive the words of understanding, 3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, Justice, judgment, and equity; 4 To give prudence to the simple, To the young man knowledge and discretion1:5 A wise man will hear and increase learning, And a man of understanding will attain wise counsel

Reading the introduction to this passage reminds me of Psalms 1, one of my favorite pieces of scripture. It talks about the strong tree and how it will stand against tough times, drought, disease, etc. It is planted by the water so that it will bring forth fruit in its season, it shall not wither. To me these verses are tied together. We are the tree. Christ is the river of water. As long as we abide in Him, lean on Him, trust i n Him, we will prosper. There is nothing better we can do for our own souls or ourselves period than to stay close to Him. I know when things get tough in my life and I don't seem to be able to withstand them, it is usually because I am not leaning on Christ enough. I have tried to go it on my own. God wants us to be able to take steps of faith, but not without Him. Anything done without Him will fail to be fruitful. It is just chaff that will blow away with the wind. Do you have any chaff in your life? I know that I do and I want to do everything possible to remove the chaff and start over in those places.

No comments: