Sunday, December 14, 2008

Proverbs 11 - Built with God

8 The godly are rescued from trouble, and it falls on the wicked instead.

Though this is not the best picture I have seen of Crystal Beach post-Ike, this scripture comes to mind every time I see the few houses remaining after the storm. In the middle of complete devastation, there are one or two homes remaining. It makes me wonder did the people that owned those homes have something different about them. Possibly, but more likely is there was something different about the construction. Our lives are like that. How we construct them determines how we will hold up in times of trouble. Jesus was very clear about building our house upon the rock (Himself) so that when times of trouble come we will prevail. Not so with the ungodly. They will be blown away with the wind. Believing in Jesus is not sufficient. Having Jesus as your savior is a good beginning. We need to build our lives one step at a time. Christ the foundation, the word of God are the beams or the pillars, prayer is the roof and the walls that protect us from the elements, but faith and complete dependence on God are the hurricane straps and ties downs that hold it all together when troubles come. And they will come

11:12 It is foolish to belittle one’s neighbor; a sensible person keeps quiet. 13 A gossip goes around telling secrets, but those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence.
So many times it is very easy to want to speak bad about a neighbor you are at sorts with. I have one that I never talk to. Not that I haven't tried. It is just that this neighbor is very difficult to deal with. Yet I do my best to never talk badly about him. I usually just keep quiet, pray, and hope that one day things will be better. I guess that maybe I am blessed in this manner. I have never been one to gossip about others. I can't stand this sort of behavior. It is causing me problems with my job. I work in a group of people that always find it very easy to point fingers at everyone else. Not that they are always wrong, I just never see the point in this. When you take part in this kind of finger-pointing, you will be the victim of it as well. I don't want fingers pointed at me as it tends to be the wrong finger!

No comments: