Sunday, December 28, 2008

Proverbs 27 - A Man's Heart

27:19 As water reflects a face, so a man's heart reflects the man.

I have spent most of my adult life trying to hide my heart. Not because it was bad, but because I was vulnerable. I look at my son and I see me as a child. I want so much for him to be able to go through life and remain the way he is: open, sensitive, warm, caring, unaffected, etc. I know that won't happen so I vow that he will know how to deal with it better due to my experiences. My father or mother were never there to talk to me, to help me understand what I was feeling, to help me deal with hurt and frustration. Sensitive people get hurt and learn to hide their heart. Eventually you become someone you don't even know, recognize, or like. I spent years running and hiding. I vow that my kids will not go through that. One thing that I have learned in life is that often the tougher the person acts typically the softer their heart.
\
27:22 Though you grind a fool in a mortar, grinding him like grain with a pestle, you will not remove his folly from him.

It seems like there is little hope for the fool, that they are predestined to be fools. And maybe they are, but there is hope for them in Jesus Christ. All have the opportunity to be a new creation in Christ. I am living proof. I spent many years behaving like a fool. But the heart of a fool was not in me. The foundation for believing in Christ was laid in me as a child and though I turned away for many years, I came back, accepted Christ, and have spent the last 14 years turning things around. It has been extremely difficult. I have had to re-learn 20 years of bad behavior, of living one way. Never give up hope for anyone. God loves a wishes all to come to Christ. When you look at the world today, there is no reason that Christ does not come back this very minute other than He is being patient until the allotted number has been reached.

No comments: