Thursday, December 11, 2008

Proverbs 8

8:22 “ The LORD possessed me at the beginning of His way, Before His works of old. (NKJV)

8:22 "The LORD brought me forth as the first of his works, before his deeds of old; (NIV)

Sometimes I am so confused by scripture. I want God to enlighten me. I have read/heard many commentaries on Proverbs and these particular passages in general. It is common thought that Christ is wisdom, Christ is whom Solomon is talking about predominantly when he speaks about wisdom and he refers to wisdom in the female sense. I know that there are a couple of reasons for this. One, that we should love and embrace wisdom as a man does (or should) a woman. Two, many of the characteristics of wisdom are anthropomorphically like a woman. Like that word! I have waited a long time to use it! But I don't understand how the scholars who have translated this particular passage seem to have gone divergent ways. Solomon is again describing Christ in this passage. In fact the entire Proverb can be summarized as this: Christ is wisdom, seeking Christ is rewarding, Christ has always been. I am going to go to my Hebrew bible and translate this for myself and get back with you. Possessed me and brought forth are 2 very different meanings and neither seem to fit the whole. I know all that about "thought for thought" and "word for word" stuff, but I really want to know what the original Hebrew word is trying to convey so when someone asks me, I will know

No comments: