Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Proverbs 23 - Are U Wearing Out

23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. 5 Cast but a glance at riches, and they are gone, for they will surely sprout wings and fly off to the sky like an eagle.

Are you killing yourself to get rich or at least seem rich? How is Christmas shopping going for you? I know I have a difficult time at Christmas making ends meet and wanting to do so much for my kids and giving to charities. It seems that no matter how hard I try I am always broke this time of year. I have learned not to stress about it. Christmas is about Christ and Christ alone. I listened to a story on KKHT this week about a child on whose birthday everyone gave presents to everyone else but him, relatives came to visit but stayed at other places and never came to see him, celebrations occurred but they weren't celebrating his birthday. This is what Christ feels like as Christmas. I wish so much that our culture would turn this around. We, as Christians need to turn this around. I try, but I feel I sometimes am lacking. I have tried different things year after year to put the focus on Christ for myself and my children, but culture drags me down.

23:16 my inmost being will rejoice when your lips speak what is right.

I made a big mistake with this just last night. I had a conversation with someone who was going through a difficult time and tried to bring some levity to the situation. It did not work right and I was disappointed that what I have learned from these lessons seemed naught. A rightful word spoken at the right time is like healing to a wound. I did not do this. I guess the good thing is, I realized the fact, but I wish I had said something different. It is very difficult to know what to say sometimes so if you don't know what to say, silence is golden

No comments: