Sunday, December 14, 2008

Proverbs 13 - No coincidence

13:1 A wise child accepts a parent’s discipline; a mocker refuses to listen to correction.
13: 24 Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.



Okay, so this is absolutely no coincidence that the previous chapter and blog are confirmed by this chapter. What I am loving it that I seem to be learning! There is so much further to go that it is exciting. The concern that comes from the latter verse listed above is that I wonder how many parents must hate their children today. I remember some words that will stick with me forever by someone (that will go unmentioned), who told me "You don't want to break your child's spirit", when I was disciplining my daughter. Not physical discipline, but discipline well deserved and in a proper manner. My thoughts were "How absurd". If that spirit is a spirit of rebellion, disrespect, hatred, anger, or evil, then yes, I want to and will break that spirit. I see and hear of so many parents today that don't believe in corporal punishment. Granted spankings are not always the answer. There is a proper time, place, and method for using this type of discipline, but not using it at all, I can just not fathom. In my childhood, my grandmother/grandparents were not to be reckoned with, questioned, or sassed. I would have to go select the switch off the willow tree to bust my butt with. And I had better get a good one. But I have the utmost respect for my grandmother (God rest her soul and I long to see her again). She was also the most wonderful woman I have ever known. She allowed me to do things my parents would not, she trusted me when they didn't, and she came to my rescue when needed. But she did not spare the rod when I deserved it. I hate more than anything to discipline my kids, but I can't bare to think how they would be if I didn't.


I couldn't resist this picture because obviously what some of our political, financial, and corporate leaders need is a good strong dose of discipline


No comments: