Sunday, December 14, 2008

Proverbs 12 - Learn to love Discipline

12:1 To learn, you must love discipline; it is stupid to hate correction.

Discipline has many meanings, most of which are deemed as negative to most people. But in truth discipline is good, good for life, good for learning, good for us in general. In order to be good at anything you must discipline yourself to learn, to practice, and to persevere. When I watch professional golfers I am so often in awe of their talent, but more so in the discipline it took for them to get to that level.

Additionally, in order to learn we often have to accept discipline in the form of correction sometimes even punishment. How many of us would drive the speed limit if it were not for the consequences of getting tickets. I know that God loves me when He disciplines me. He tells us in His word that He only disciplines those He loves. As painful as it may be, I have learned to love God's discipline and realize that it is making me a better, more Christ-like person. Our natural instinct is to hate discipline. Just look at your kids. But if you did not love your children you would not discipline them. I put my kids in Tae Kwon Do several years ago to mainly learn discipline. Discipline of mind and body. I have seen great results from this and know it will be something they will carry through life. The wonderful thing is to see is your children responding positively to your discipline, knowing that it is proper and teaching them to better themselves. That is how God feels when we respond to His discipline with gratefulness and understanding

No comments: