Saturday, December 20, 2008

Proverbs 17 - A time to be grateful

17:5 Those who mock the poor insult their Maker; those who rejoice at the misfortune of others will be punished.

This time of year is the time we reflect on how fortunate we all are. If we have a roof over our head, food on the table, and clothes on our back, we are more fortunate than most of the world's population. It so very easy for us to get caught up in "our world" here in the states, in keeping up with the Jones', that we fail to remember that. No matter what you have, where you are, God made us all, and we are all equal in that regard. Whenever we mock someone, or make fun or someone, we are mocking God. That is a big statement and should keep us from ever making fun of anyone. Where does this tendency to make fun of others come from? I see it in my kids and I believe it is a learned behavior. Whether taught at home, at school, or just around others. It is also a very difficult behavior to unlearn and you have to make a conscious effort to control your thoughts first.


17:27 A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered.

Are you a man of few words? How about and even temper? I would like to think I am but the truth of the matter is often I am not. I truck along at an even temper then I either want to blow a gasket, or I do. It also seems that these two verses go hand in hand. It seems that when I am even tempered, I am typically a man of few words, and visa-versa. Part of it for me is about realizing my mood and adjusting it. I am not one of those people who gets up every day and it is rosy. I have my days where I just want to kick everyone's butt. Those are the ones I have to be very careful and monitor my mouth and attitude. I often wonder does every one have days like this? I know that some do as you can tell by talking to them. Being a part of this study has given me additional insight and tools to fight the battle of the mind and mouth with.

No comments: