Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Proverbs 11 - Venting

11:29 Exploit or abuse your family, and end up with a fistful of air; common sense tells you it's a stupid way to live.

I have had a really interesting week. I have had to put into practice many of the control mechanisms I have been learning lately. My family has pushed me to my wits end. My mom wrecked my 4 day old car so I have been praying and asking God to give me wisdom, strength, ability to forgive, and humble character. I realize it was an accident, and it was blessedly with the basketball goal, but it has really been nagging at me. It is not forgiveness for the accident but seems to have a much bigger scope which kind of goes back to verse 4 of this same chapter

11:4 A thick bankroll is no help when life falls apart, but a principled life can stand up to the worst.

Even though she offered to pay to fix the damages, sometimes in life it is not about the physical damage or in this case the property damage. There are much deeper issues. With this instance, for me, it is about respect. For a long time I have felt that I do not get any respect from her and never have. She has always just thrown money at situations and that does not solve anything. Though the car may not have been brand new (2005 Accord with 82K miles), it was new to me. She has backed out of the same spot in my other car thousands of times and nothing has changed. The basketball goal has always been where it is so it basically just boils down to not paying attention. As I write this I see how frugal and pointless my attitude is. It is what it is, just let it go and move on. I will be grateful for the positives in this. She did not have a wreck that hurt her, my children, or anyone else. Sometimes its good to vent

No comments: