Saturday, January 3, 2009

Proverbs 29 - Anger

29:22 An angry person starts fights; a hot-tempered person commits all kinds of sin.

Have you ever noticed how some people seem to not be able to go through life without causing conflict? Well here is the answer. Anger. They are angry people. They don't necessarily even know they are angry or what they may be angry about. I know I have been this way in my life and when I usually find myself picking arguments, then I realize that I need to examine myself and find out what I am truly angry about. Part of that is inherited behavior. I see this in my mother. I love my mom, but I know why I left home! When she comes to visit, things are always tense. She is constantly complaining, starting arguments, expecting every one and everything to just come to her or work the way she thinks it should work. Don't even get me started about computers and cell phones! You would think that someone with a Masters degree could work a cell phone. Anyway, the bottom line of this is that she is angry, and has been for years. She is angry because my father died and left her alone. This anger has destroyed her. It robbed her of he intelligence, her snap, her joy. I have long since given up on trying to "fix" her. She does not see anything wrong. I have let this be a lesson to me though. First, that most of our behavior is learned from those who were most influential to us. Our parents. My dad was hot-tempered, and my mother harbors anger. I learned and have had to unlearn both. Mostly, I never want to be like that. Anger needs to be let go. Being hot-tempered does not resolve anything, ever. It does nothing but hurt yourself. Lastly, since behavior is learned, then I need to be careful what I am teaching.


No comments: