Saturday, January 3, 2009

Proverbs 28 - Transparency

28:13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.

Do you have sins that you conceal or things that you hide from others? Nothing is hidden from God. It seems easy to think that if no one else knows that it is okay, or if it doesn't hurt anyone else than it is okay. But God demands obedience in solitude as well as in public. He searches the heart and mind. He knows our motives, our secret thoughts. We are transparent to God whether we like it or not. We need to be transparent in all areas or life so that God shines through us. When we have sin, either on display or in secret, that clouds the transparency and God cannot be seen through or in us.

24 Anyone who steals from his father and mother and says, “What’s wrong with that?” is no better than a murderer.

Seeing this scripture today reminds me of when I was in high school and I took some money from my father's wallet. Though I did not get caught in the act, he knew it, and I got in huge trouble. I thought it was okay, no big deal, because he had plenty of money, why would he miss a $20. This was a sin I had totally forgotten about since it was so long ago. I thank God for showing me the many things that need to be confessed and also allowing me a window into the past so I can always be mindful of the forgiveness and grace of God. Since my father is not around now, I cannot ask his forgiveness, but I can get closure through the Lord. Thank you God for your mercy, grace, and patience.

No comments: