Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Proverbs 25 - Hot Air

25:14 A person who promises a gift but doesn’t give it is like clouds and wind that bring no rain.

Have you ever been promised something only to see that whoever made the promise reneged? I think we all have. I have always told myself not to promise anything you cannot deliver. Especially when it comes to my kids or other kids. I got to witness this first hand this weekend where my neighbor told my son 3 times that he would come to his basketball game. Josiah was excited about it even though I told him not to get his hopes up. I hated to have to say that but I knew he would not make it to the game. Unfortunately kids do not know who to depend on most of the time. They depend on everybody and they believe what adults tell them. I later had to console Josiah when he did not make, rebuke my neighbor when he did not make, and try to make a bad situation good. I think as adults we forget what it was like to be completely trusting of other people. For most of us it was so long ago, so many betrayals and disappointments ago, that most of us tend to err on the side of caution and protection instead of believing people. This is a very sad commentary on the human condition.

No comments: