Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Proverbs 18 - The Power of Words

18:20 Words satisfy the mind as much as fruit does the stomach; good talk is as gratifying as a good harvest. 21 Words kill, words give life; they're either poison or fruit—you choose.

The tongue is a mighty and powerful tool. It can either give life or take it away. Not so much in the physical sense but in the emotional sense. The book of James is very poignant on the power of the tongue. Do you have a problem with yours? I know I have, and at times I still do. I am learning much through this study about using words. There is nothing wrong with talking, it just needs to be at the right time and with the right thing to say. Much more is accomplished by a loving rebuke, or encouragement than can ever be accomplished by flattery, or condescension. With kids it can be hard to identify the difference. We have to put ourselves in the shoes of the other person and ask "what would I want someone to say to me in this situation and how should they say it". If you take time to ask and answer that question, the response is usually out of love more than reaction. I pray that I will lean on God for the right things to say at the right time, always.

No comments: