Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Proverbs 26 - Rubber & Glue

26:2 Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse will not land on its intended victim

Does anyone remember the old saying "I'm rubber and your glue, Whatever bounces off me sticks to you"? I used to love this as a kid because I was always being teased. At school or at home. My sisters picked on me relentlessly so I used this phrase a lot. I know it seems very childish but this phrase like the Proverbs verse is extremely true. I have had this experience with my daughter this week. She has been having trouble with one of her classmates calling her names and telling lies about her to the teacher. A kids first instinct is to retaliate and call names back. In fact, that is probably most of our first instinct! It gave me a golden opportunity to use this verse on the exact day she returned to school to face her accuser. No matter what, if you are not guilty, whenever someone lies about you it cannot harm who you are. Sure it could have some consequences on this earth, but who you are inside and who you are to Christ does not change. I hope that I was able to explain it to her effectively. The awesome thing was that she was able to go to school, hold her head up, and not fear her meeting with the teacher because she knew that whatever happened there, I supported her because she was being truthful

No comments: